The iPad is a really nice gaming device. Huge screen, hundreds and hundreds of
cheap games , really good battery life too. But sometimes I wish there is an external controller to satisfy my game on. Fruit slicing could get really really tiring after awhile believe me..
Thank god for the iCADE! A joint partnership with Atari, ThinkGeek and ION Audio (they make DJ equipments) finally brings the arcade back to life with this controller attachment for the iPad. The only drawback with this is the fact that you can only play the Atari’s Greatest Hits game available on the Apple App Store but comes free with the iCADE. But i’m pretty sure sooner or later alot of other arcade style games will be compatible with it at least let’s hope so anyways. You can check out a video here.
- FREE Atari Greatest Hits app with one free game (downloads via App Store)
- Play Atari classics like Asteroids, Centipede, and Battlezone (sold separately)
- Classic wooden cabinet perfectly sized for iPad
- Authentic, full-sized controls for a genuine arcade experience
- High-quality iPad-cradle specifically designed for a safe, secure fit
- Retro cabinet design that is fun, nostalgic and great-looking
You can pre-order one of these at ThinkGeek for $99. This came out already but they’re sold out at the moment. For $99, it’s a bit steep for a controller. But if you really want a nice conversation piece in your living room, a portable and wireless arcade, or maybe something to show off when you hang out at a Starbucks, what’s stopping ya from getting one of these. iCADE Product Page
Another controller attachment this time only available for the iPhone is the iPhone Pinball Magic. It’s a small attachment that houses your iPhone into an arcade pinball cabinet. This one’s a duable at $20-$25 though the only game you can play with it is the one it came with.
- Working ball-launching plunger
- Realistic mini-flipper buttons
- Classic and unique board layouts
- Tilt detection, tilt warning and activation
- Replay bonuses and and multiplayer competition
- Works with iPhone or iPod Touch as long as you have iOS 3.0 or up
- Includes USB cable for charging and syncing