Last summer we brought you this story about the Retro VGS. This was a supposed to be a new gaming console meant to pander towards retro gamers. The system was a retooled Atari Jaguar designed to play new gaming titles in a video game cartridge format.
Since our first report, the Retro VGS failed in a crowdfunding attempt in November and seemed like a doomed project. Then miraculously the copyright holder of the Coleco brand decided to back the Retro VGS and the outlook was promising that there would be a 2016 release for the renamed Coleco Chameleon system. An appearance at the Toy Fair last month in New York raised suspicion that the system has been a scam all along (attendees claim that the VGS console was nothing more than past system components Frankensteined together), and recent events confirmed that the project is officially dead.
Chris Cardillo of Coleco has since reported that there has been a separation between his company and Retro VGS and that the Chameleon project was to be terminated. He states that Retro VGS would not give a system demonstration and as such Coleco could no longer continue its partnership with the company.
To add more fuel to the fire the managing editor of Retro VGS’s Retro Magazine also separated from the company citing issues with the Chameleon’s development. Since these major shake-ups Retro VGS has taken down its Facebook page and its website no longer loads. It’s safe to say that the retro gaming console won’t be seeing the light of day.
Hopefully, the listings below make up for any disappointment. Check out our newly created NES price guide and rarities. We show you the best and rarest games from Nintendo’s original flagship!
- Rare Retro Swingster Atari Jacket – There’s something about these old vintage Atari clothes that still draws me in. This one’s in great shape and it’s priced as such at$120.
- Zelda Majoras Mask Art LED Light Art – This is a pretty striking custom made piece.
- Custom Ninja Turtle Van NES System – Yup, it’s exactly what it sounds like. This is a classic NES system that has been outfitted with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Van. If anything you have to check this out.
- Nintendo 64 Store Display Sign – Cool collectors item. A few scuffs but you’ll be hard pressed to find another.
- Minecraft Scarf – Winter is almost over but you still have time to rock this Minecraft Creeper scarf!
- Tom Clancy’s The Division Collector’s Edition Bonuses – This includes everything but the season pass and the game itself: poster, art book, armband, and agent watch. Should be able to pick it up for $100 or less.
- Wolfenstein Mug – Check out the original first person shooter pixelated on your cup of Joe!
- Fallout 4 Vinyl Decal – Just a man and his dog. Comes in 3 size options and several colors.
- Square Enix Agent 47 Absolution Hitman Action Figure – New in box, unopened original Square Enix figure for $100. Typically sell between $50 to $200.
- Vintage Nintendo Chair – One of the first of its kind. In fairly good condition.
- Call of Duty Print – This handcrafted 11″ x 17″ print is a steal at only $17.