I know many of you enjoy fan made games for the NES. So, I’m sure you’ll be interested in learning about the completion of the new fan made game, Metroid Rogue Dawn. This unofficial rom patch (is there any other type) was recently released by developers Optomon, snarfblam, and Grimlock.
Metroid Rogue Dawn Is Officially Released
“…such as a map that is larger than ever before, and a brand new soundtrack to go along with the fan made Metroid game.”
The unofficial Rogue Dawn is a prequel to the 1986 classic NES game. In this NES rom patch, the game focuses on a yet-to-be-told story; a story about a spaceship that has been conducting research but has been attacked by pirates from space. Samus runs into trouble when the pirates steal the recently discovered life form contained in a capsule.
So What’s In The NES Rom Patch?
This updated version of the game includes amazing visuals, brand new additions to the game such as a map that is larger than ever before, and a brand new soundtrack to go along with the fan made Metroid game. The game is set to have the feel of an early 16-bit game (or NES game from the latter portion of the cycle).
The developers created a brand new map that includes countless art tiles that are custom. Since this game is not an NES rom hack, you will need to patch it into an original Metroid cartridge.
Gamers who have played this Metroid NES remake have been blown away by the incredible visuals as well as how true to the original game this patch feels. However, some fans of this Metroid rom hack are concerned about the legal ramifications the developers may face from Nintendo.
While this game can (and likely will serve) as free publicity for Nintendo’s original Metroid game, Nintendo and their lawyers may not agree. Based on similar situations in the past, there is a great likelihood that Nintendo will shut it down. As a result, some gamers are hurrying to snag the game before Nintendo puts an end to it via their lawyers.
“some fans of this Metroid rom hack are concerned about the legal ramifications the developers may face from Nintendo.”
If you want to try out this NES patch, we suggest that you download it soon. It may not be around too much longer, which is a shame because it is receiving consistently positive reviews from gamers who have played it.
Right now, you can download this fan made Metroid game from this link. You can also download the original Rogue Dawn soundtrack by following this link.
Currently, no one has put this Metriod rom patch on a cartridge and attempted to sell it (at least not on Ebay or other online homebrew sites). But, one could hypothetically patch Metroid carts with the file and sell it themselves.
In addition to Metroid Rogue Dawn, here are a few fan-made NES games currently for sale on Ebay:
- Rockman: Exile – MegaMan 2, fan made Version – Nintendo NES Game – Mega Man 2 hack which translates back into Japanese and adds cool features
- Holy Diver – Fan Version, Made for Famicom – NES Game – based on the song by Dio
- Freddy VS Jason – Fan Game Nintendo NES – The successor to the Original Friday the 13th game
- Zooming Secretary – Fan Game for Nintendo NES – Arcade – fast paced single screen arcade game
- Bomber Mario Fan Version Nintendo NES – Mix of Bomberman and Mario
- Alter Ego (Nintendo, NES) Homebrew Port – Port of the classic ZX Spectrum classic
- Haunted: Halloween ’86 The Curse of Possum Hollow NES Nintendo Game Homebrew CIB – Pumpkin Orange Cart Complete in Box with Manual
- The GRIND NES Homebrew CIB Nintendo NES good condition – Limited release on NintendoAge by right nut games back in 2011
- Luigi’s Chronicles (Nintendo, NES) Homebrew – Rom hack of Super Mario Bros
- Nomolos Retrozone RetroUSB NES Homebrew By Gradual Games Signed – Developed by Gradual games, published by RetroZone – signed by Derek, owner of Gradual Games
- Multidude Nintendo Famicom Famiclone FC/NES Japan Import US Seller Homebrew